Global, collaborative, technology-based initiatives across the learning spectrum (Pre-K, K-12, Academic, Work, Personal, Military/Police)

Members

Forum

GLN LearnAbout - Raising Capital for an EdTech Startup - 13 March, 2024 - Noon Eastern

Started by Paul Terlemezian in GLN LearnAbouts Mar 4. 0 Replies

Learner: Dr. Marilyn CarrollLearn with Dr. Carroll and other entrepreneurs interested in raising capital for their EdTech Startup.The format of this session will be:Marilyn will explain what she wishes to learn about - and whyShe will ask each of…Continue

GLN TeachAbout - Integrative Debating - Glenn Meier, February 29, 2024, 3:00 - 3:45 PM Eastern USA

Started by Paul Terlemezian in GLN TeachAbouts Feb 11. 0 Replies

Earlier this year, Glenn responded to the Conscious Capitalism/Georgia LEARNS Pluralism event by sending an email via LinkedIn. His message included:"...the magic lies in an agreed upon process for making the conversation a "fair fight."  In my…Continue

GLN 2023 - TeachAbout - Purpose

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 26, 2023. 0 Replies

Is it possible or desirable to differentiate purpose from passion?Session Leader: Donald JenkinsThe format of this session will be:Five minutes of welcome and…Continue

GLN 2023 - Hidden About - Humble Inquiry - Scaling

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 25, 2023. 0 Replies

Is humble inquiry real or imagined?Is it desirable? If so - when? If not - why?Session Leader:…Continue

GLN 2023 - Open Forum Conversation - BYOT

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 25, 2023. 0 Replies

BYOT = Bring Your Own TopicThese sessions are offered to allow for open forum conversation and/or the opportunistic creation of breakout rooms to allow for self-directed conversations.Breakout rooms will be preset. Participants may:Choose an open…Continue

GLN 2023 - TeachAbout - Cheat Codes for Life

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 24, 2023. 0 Replies

The Surprisingly Simple Cheat Codes for Happiness, Creativity, and Human Performance.If you are human, there is something in this session for you.We live in a world of algorithms. Relatively simple pieces of logic and actions that govern everything.…Continue

GLN 2023 - Panel Discussion - Innovation

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023. Last reply by Paul Terlemezian Nov 27, 2023. 2 Replies

What is the opposite of innovation? Might it be stagnation?How do we know something is an innovation?This session will be the traditional Georgia LEARNS Plus-BYOL-Plus format:First 15 minutes: The humorists will share their perspective on the topic…Continue

GLN 2023 - ExploringPossibilitiesAbout - Hardwiring

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 21, 2023. 0 Replies

Session Leader: Chuck RussellThe Session Format is the following:1. You will be asked to accept the premise that it is possible to know why you are failing to do…Continue

GLN 2023 - TeachAbout - Simulations 2024

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023. Last reply by Paul Terlemezian Nov 30, 2023. 1 Reply

Session Leader: Eric BluesteinThe format of this session will be:1.Eric will explain what he wishes to learn about Simulations - and why.2.He will ask…Continue

GLN 2023 - CaseStudyAbout - Small Business Revival

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 21, 2023. 0 Replies

Session Leader: Neicey JohnsonCase Study: How to save a spiraling out-of-control small business.Seeking tips to assist with corporate operational…Continue

Blog Posts

What Are You Measuring?

Posted by Bill Crose on September 13, 2019 at 11:33am 1 Comment

A lifetime ago, my training department colleagues and I were satisfied with training data. We cranked out the requested ILT programs plus the "flavor of the year" content, we kept a busy training schedule, and made sure the coffee was always the right temperature. When accused of not delivering effective training because the learners didn't perform as they were trained, we took refuge in our management support role and not ultimately responsible or accountable for LEARNING or productivity.…

Continue

Photos

• Add Photos

As desirable as growth may be it it not likely that everyone can achieve the growth they desire.

• How can we authentically support the growth of others?
  • How do you lead someone whose growth may cause them to become less of a fit with your growth?
  • How do you prevent your limitations from limiting those you are leading?
  • How do you prevent your growth from being limited by those who lead you?
  • How do you assure that your business structure does not hinder growth?
  • What aspects of supporting the growth of others are you curious about?

Humorists:

Panelists:

Moderators:

"Remarkable" Speakers/Listeners:

Views: 284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What if the professional development we desire does not align with the needs of our employer? Do we:

• abandon our interest?
  • expect our employer to cover the cost?
  • make the investment from our pocket?
  • is there another choice?

The question would be, "Is the interest for professional development or personal exploration?" 

As an employee if you are not given a choice on professional development, I would believe some compensation should be worked out. 

If you as an individual are looking to make advancements in your profession then this may be up for discussion with your employer as to who should pay for what (or if you pay for all of it). 

If you are looking for a completely different career path or personal interest, then the cost should be on the individual.

As far as another choice, is there a mentorship opportunity within the company to learn on the job skills and techniques that don't require formal education or certification training? 

From the Authors of "Learning as a Way of Leading:

Support the Growth of Others:

"....championing the purposed of co-workers, and staying curious about each other's experiences."

For those unaware, I am an Army Officer near retirement (1 Feb 23), looking learn about different career and growth opportunities. I'm curious to learn about the multitude of opportunities as well as  while expanding my network. I'd love to engage in dialogue about how you could make me make the transition smoother, increase opportunities or anything else you might find beneficial in my break-out room discussion.  Who'll join me?

First off, thank you for your service, Folden.

With the thought of a career change or growth opportunities in the future, have you asked yourself, "Am I looking to give back with all I have learned and accomplished" or are you looking to gain knowledge and skill sets in a completely different field?

I'm sorry I was unable to attend the breakout session. I'm sure there were great discussions.

Thank you Lisa.  I love our Nation!  

Glad you and others could read through my gobbledygook. As for the breakout session, Segment 4 happens this Wednesday from 1:45 to 3:00 PM so 2:30ish---I think.

As for future opportunities, I endeavor to exploit all the 'positive' leadership skills and knowledge I've learned in the military while gaining knowledge and skill sets from another field. Simply stated, I want to use my leadership superpowers to advance an organization/team of teams to realize their strategic goals and objectives.  I'm passionate about the growth of others.  If it hasn't come-out here, it will when we begin to discuss.  

Everything we do as Leaders/Managers starts with Listening (first and foremost) and giving our people a Voice. -- everything else follows..  oops on Soapbox

The key here is supporting what they want to do concerning their growth.  I think too many folks are thrust into roles they aren't comfortable with where bosses impose "stretch goals" that are not likely to be reached.  To me, that is setting them up to fail in the guise of business.

Brent D, I like what you've started and I agree with you.  It also triggers some interesting conversation.  

Would you also agree that your comment has layers? I see at least two variables here (leader/led) with subsets i.e. mood, motivation, outside pressure, etc.  Remember the 'Peter Principle'?  For discussion's sake,"..that members of a hierarchy are promoted until they reach the level at which they are no longer competent."  

(I believe –Worse case)

As I define the problem (facade) in my own thinking - Bosses are pressured to stretch goals to meet or exceed stakeholder expectations leaving a clear void in training.  If you're one of the unfortunate being led, you're left in the wake of overwhelming complexity, increased production interval and not enough resources (people, training, tools and guidance) to achieve them.

(I believe – Best case)

If you're lucky enough to be in a learning organization, your leaders understand 1+1 = 11( thanks Paul T), meaning they are skilled, they understand the organization/business unit they are in while possessing the skill to create, acquire, and transfer knowledge. Simply stated, building a culture and climate to modify behaviors that enable reflection of new knowledge and insights.

Ultimately, the “led” should not be afraid to ask for help -- conversely – “leaders” should be ready to induce success.  Nothing is perfect.  To achieve best results, managed expectations and positivity at levels must be in the foundational ready-mix.

Excellent points!  There are many layers to this issue.  If the culture supports continual learning and growth of the employees, this scenario can be seen in a different light, as you so aptly articulated. Then, if the employee wants the opportunity for that growth and the company supports them with the right resources and culture, it can work well. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Terlemezian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service