Georgia LEARNS 2021 – What Do You Do with an Idea?
Our theme is inspired by the life, work, and wishes of our dear friend Teri Williamson.
All times listed below are Eastern USA Time Zone (UTC – 5:00)
We are pleased to announce a series of BYOL Plus Plus Panel Discussions - Delivered Virtually. Each topic in the agenda below is linked to an online discussion related to the topic.
BYOL Plus Plus Definition: BYOL – The Bring Your Own Learning panel format was introduced by Georgia LEARNS in 2015.
- Panelists have up to two minutes (30 seconds would be fine) to present questions related to what they want to learn from the audience as well as present what they believe the audience can learn from the panelist's experience.
- Each panel is followed by 30-35-minute breakout discussion sessions.
- In 2016 we improved BYOL by concluding each segment with the “Plus” - a 5-to-10-minute closing presentation by a “Remarkable” Speaker (Listener – thank you Michelle Prince) who will describe what they learned from the panelists and breakouts.
- In 2021 we are experimenting by beginning each segment with another “Plus” – a 10-15-minute use of Relevant Humor to stimulate the conversations that will follow. Here is an example (thank you Phil Brown for making me aware of this example.)
- Critical to the success of the panel is the Moderator role. The Moderator stimulates interaction before and after the event via the online discussions for each segment. During the event the Moderator manages the panel and the sequence of activities for the panel. They also monitor the online discussion and encourage people to submit their ideas into it.
Engaged Participants: You play the most important role in the success of this conference. Specifically:
- Your willingness to read and comment in the online discussions - before, during and after the conference provides perpetual value to everyone - especially you.
- Your selection of which segments to attend helps us determine the relevance of the agenda.
- The breakout room that you choose during the BYOL Plus Plus Panels provides immediate feedback to each Panelist of the resonance of their two minutes (30 seconds would be fine) "presentation."
- Your willingness to leave a breakout room if the conversation is not providing the expected value is important feedback to the panelist - and 100% aligned with the expectations of Georgia LEARNS!!!
- And most important - your willingness to respectfully ask questions - especially if you do not agree or understand the perspective of the Panelist - is how you can help accelerate effective learning for yourself, the other Engaged Participants, the Humorists, the Panelists, the Moderators - and the Remarkable Speakers!
Why we chose to include the role of a Humorist in 2021:
- We wish to build relationship – especially with people whose life and experiences and cultures may be different from what we understand.
- We think that humor might help us learn from each other – and build relationship while doing so.
- We think that humor might help us understand the culture that created the humor.
- We think that the history of a culture might be revealed via its humor.
- With relationship – strengthened by understanding of humor, culture, and history – we hope to build mutual respect.
- With mutual respect we hope to be able to tell each other the truth.
- With truth we he hope to be able to collaborate to address issues that must be addressed.
Please provide your comments on this page or in the online discussion for each segment - or by calling, texting, or sending me an email.
- Paul Terlemezian