Global, collaborative, technology-based initiatives across the learning spectrum (Pre-K, K-12, Academic, Work, Personal, Military/Police)

Members

Forum

GLN LearnAbout - Raising Capital for an EdTech Startup - 13 March, 2024 - Noon Eastern

Started by Paul Terlemezian in GLN LearnAbouts Mar 4. 0 Replies

Learner: Dr. Marilyn CarrollLearn with Dr. Carroll and other entrepreneurs interested in raising capital for their EdTech Startup.The format of this session will be:Marilyn will explain what she wishes to learn about - and whyShe will ask each of…Continue

GLN TeachAbout - Integrative Debating - Glenn Meier, February 29, 2024, 3:00 - 3:45 PM Eastern USA

Started by Paul Terlemezian in GLN TeachAbouts Feb 11. 0 Replies

Earlier this year, Glenn responded to the Conscious Capitalism/Georgia LEARNS Pluralism event by sending an email via LinkedIn. His message included:"...the magic lies in an agreed upon process for making the conversation a "fair fight."  In my…Continue

GLN 2023 - TeachAbout - Purpose

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 26, 2023. 0 Replies

Is it possible or desirable to differentiate purpose from passion?Session Leader: Donald JenkinsThe format of this session will be:Five minutes of welcome and…Continue

GLN 2023 - Hidden About - Humble Inquiry - Scaling

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 25, 2023. 0 Replies

Is humble inquiry real or imagined?Is it desirable? If so - when? If not - why?Session Leader:…Continue

GLN 2023 - Open Forum Conversation - BYOT

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 25, 2023. 0 Replies

BYOT = Bring Your Own TopicThese sessions are offered to allow for open forum conversation and/or the opportunistic creation of breakout rooms to allow for self-directed conversations.Breakout rooms will be preset. Participants may:Choose an open…Continue

GLN 2023 - TeachAbout - Cheat Codes for Life

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 24, 2023. 0 Replies

The Surprisingly Simple Cheat Codes for Happiness, Creativity, and Human Performance.If you are human, there is something in this session for you.We live in a world of algorithms. Relatively simple pieces of logic and actions that govern everything.…Continue

GLN 2023 - Panel Discussion - Innovation

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023. Last reply by Paul Terlemezian Nov 27, 2023. 2 Replies

What is the opposite of innovation? Might it be stagnation?How do we know something is an innovation?This session will be the traditional Georgia LEARNS Plus-BYOL-Plus format:First 15 minutes: The humorists will share their perspective on the topic…Continue

GLN 2023 - ExploringPossibilitiesAbout - Hardwiring

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 21, 2023. 0 Replies

Session Leader: Chuck RussellThe Session Format is the following:1. You will be asked to accept the premise that it is possible to know why you are failing to do…Continue

GLN 2023 - TeachAbout - Simulations 2024

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023. Last reply by Paul Terlemezian Nov 30, 2023. 1 Reply

Session Leader: Eric BluesteinThe format of this session will be:1.Eric will explain what he wishes to learn about Simulations - and why.2.He will ask…Continue

GLN 2023 - CaseStudyAbout - Small Business Revival

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2023 Nov 21, 2023. 0 Replies

Session Leader: Neicey JohnsonCase Study: How to save a spiraling out-of-control small business.Seeking tips to assist with corporate operational…Continue

Blog Posts

What Are You Measuring?

Posted by Bill Crose on September 13, 2019 at 11:33am 1 Comment

A lifetime ago, my training department colleagues and I were satisfied with training data. We cranked out the requested ILT programs plus the "flavor of the year" content, we kept a busy training schedule, and made sure the coffee was always the right temperature. When accused of not delivering effective training because the learners didn't perform as they were trained, we took refuge in our management support role and not ultimately responsible or accountable for LEARNING or productivity.…

Continue

Photos

• Add Photos

The purpose of this session will be provide input for Georgia LEARNS 2017 that will help us find achieve our vision. We will apply "Blue Ocean" thinking -

1. What will we stop doing?
  2. What will we diminish doing?
  3. What will we significantly increase doing?
  4. What will we do that has never been done before?

Will these questions help us get answers that will help us achieve our vision?

What other questions do you suggest be asked?

What input can you provide - whether or not related to these questions?

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Our vision is stated on the home page http://georgialearnsnow.ning.com/ of this site and labelled as "A Different Plan." Please feel free to comment on its worthiness in addition for ideas for how to achieve it (or change it.)

During the months of November and December all attendees are encouraged to describe the "crowd-design" process and solutions to others. Please share what you learn from doing so in the relevant discussion group.

We are also planning a series of public debates  in 2017 that will leverage our relationship with the Glenn Pelham Foundation. The topics for the debates will relate to the solutions we have "crowd-designed" for the "impossible problems.

What are your thoughts on these two ideas? What other ideas would lead to tangible outcomes for you, our community and Georgia LEARNS?

As you read and comment here - please consider:

1. Describing the value you wish to receive from participating in the conference
  2. Marilyn Bloom described the following words that she heard repeatedly during the conference and which she hoped would continue in the future - Change, Leadership, Trust, Transparency.
  3. Stephanie Crowe urged us to "stop thinking" that "Georgia is not great" and to build on the great things we are doing
  4. Eric Blumthal suggested that we focus on one topic (vs. the 10 disparate topics we had this year) and "wrestle it to the ground" - really turn it into something
  5. Brent Darnell suggested we collaborate with Safehouse.
  6. Kelly Vandever suggested we collaborate with Per Scholas
  7. Several suggested we support new internship models
  8. Several discussed the interests of millennials regarding social entrepreneurship
  9. Daniel Shorr suggested we develop a platform from which we could launch social entrepreneurs

Paul, great 2016 session.  For 2017 I think adding a question about What is Georgia Learn's value proposition and impact to the state?  Defining a value statement that mixes, academics with industry and open collaboration of GL participants would be a great start to showcase why others should get involved.

Doug - thank you - here is a link to our homepage http://georgialearnsnow.ning.com/ where our vision/mission is expressed. Our goal for 2017 as you have stated clearly and succinctly is to live up to what we have expressed! Thank you!!

Paul,  

I'm enjoying watching the evolution of Georgia Learns and I greatly appreciated the 2016 format.  When I think "Georgia Learns", I automatically think public-private partnership solving problems (both current and future) in Georgia.  Thus, I would like to see greater representation of local and state government decision makers as participants in the conference.  I think it benefits those of us who aren't in government positions (and sometimes wish we were because "If I was in charge, by golly....') and I think it can be highly beneficial to those in government to find support from their counterparts in the private sector. 

Thank you for your vision!  

Kellie

Kellie - I am now building an advisory board that will include Ken Stewart https://www.linkedin.com/in/ken-stewart-07136b. Erick Allen continues to be an active part of our work too - https://www.linkedin.com/in/erickallen.

I agree with your premise and have been thinking that we need a bit more momentum in terms of tangible outcomes before we get the government engaged.

I'll be back in touch soon!

Paul

1. Choosing too many different topics.

2. Thinking that we can't revolutionize learning.

3. Leveraging the talents of membership to create amazing change.

4. Challenge the very core of learning and come up with an entirely different learning model and methodology that works everywhere with every subject.

It comes down to resources.  If we can get one giant money generator to do everything we want to do, that would be pretty amazing.  

To be a good team member or employee, how much does experience matter in comparison to being able to use a tool or technology?  Should a person be promoted or hired without knowing the tools currently being used?   For Georgia LEARNS 2017, can you shortcut gaining the judgement that comes from experience?

Hal - great question! I am exploring two potential ways of addressing this question.

One is to focus on leadership. How does a leader lead - when the use of technology (e.g. Twitter, mobile devices, IoT) may be integral to the effectiveness of leadership? Do they master it? Trust others to master it? Create an environment where business intentionally stays current by challenging itself? What is the role of leadership in assuring technology relevance - and what is the tole of the corporate learning function is assuring that leadership is prepared to do so. This will be the topic of the TAG Workplace Learning Society event on February 16, 2017.

Second - what new thinking/decision models can we create/adopt that assure we remain open to innovative approaches. How will these models deal with the inherent challenges between process focus vs. outcome focus? Can a model be self-correcting? The Georgia LEARNS 2017 focus on the ALO(sm) - Accountable Learning Organization is guiding my thinking.

In the end, it's about performance.  Performance solves a lot of issues.  You have to be able to know enough about technology and the people side and be seen as competent in order to be an effective leader.  If you have the people stuff with out proficiency in the technology or other processes, you aren't effective.  If you have the processes and technology without the people stuff, you set yourself up for failure. In my experience, in technical fields, most people are proficient in the technical stuff.  It's the people stuff that they need.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Paul Terlemezian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service