I recently received this book as a gift from Melissa Wade and will use this discussion group to help me understand and assimilate the contents.
There will be a new discussion for each chapter with the intent to facilitate dialog.
- Who am I: Please introduce yourself and describe why you are interested in this group
- Foreword: John Sexton
- Preface: Melissa Maxcy Wade
- Introduction: A Tool for Educating Minds and Hearts
- Chapter 1: Take No Prisoners: The Role of Debate in a Liberatory Education
- Chapter 2: Resolved; Debate Disrupts the School-to-Prison Pipeline
- Chapter 3: Evaluating Contradictory Evidence
- Chapter 4: Making Words Matter:Critical Literacy, Debate, and a Pedagogy of Dialogue
- Chapter 5: Discerning the Value of Information in the Digital Age
- Chapter 6: Engendering Academic Success: Debate as a School Engagement Strategy
- Chapter 7: Using Debate to Improve Scientific Reasoning
- Chapter 8: Critical Thinking through Debate: Skills, Dispositions, and Teaching Strategies
- Chapter 9: Using Debate to Develop Perspective Taking and Social Skills
- Chapter 10: Creating Hospitable Communities: Remembering the Emanuel 9 as We Foster a Culture of Humility and Debate