Global, collaborative, technology-based initiatives across the learning spectrum (Pre-K, K-12, Academic, Work, Personal, Military/Police)

Members

Forum

Segment 4 (18) Assessments

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2018. Last reply by Paul Terlemezian on Wednesday. 1 Reply

Segment 3 (18) Performance Analytics

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2018. Last reply by Jeff Nagel Aug 10. 1 Reply

Segment 6 (18) Life-long Learning

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2018. Last reply by Paul Terlemezian Aug 10. 2 Replies

Segment 2 (18) Workforce Readiness

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2018. Last reply by Paul Terlemezian Aug 9. 1 Reply

Blog Posts

Photos

• Add Photos

We continue to hear about data, BIG data, ROI, analytics and measurement. And we may recall what Mark Twain "popularized" about statistics https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies,_damned_lies,_and_statistics.

Where are we with ROI?

What kind of progress are we making with analytics as it relates to learning in the workplace?

What obstacles exist? persist? are mythical?

What would it take for something to be so obviously effective that we no longer take the time or cost to measure it?

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you remember the joke about a drunk man crawling around on his hands and knees under a street light late at night looking for his wallet? A passerby asks the man if he is sure this is where he dropped the wallet, to which the drunk replies, “I actually think I dropped it across the street.”

“Then why are you looking over here?” the baffled passerby asks.

“Because the light is better here,” explains the drunk.

Unfortunately, the same can be true for the “key performance indicators” (KPIs) we often rely on to calculate ROI. Instead of matching KPIs to the ultimate desired objectives, many times we find ourselves focusing on “where the light is better” — i.e. what is easiest to quantify.

The effectiveness of educational programs can be viewed multiple ways:

1. Did the participants improve their knowledge?
  2. Did they retain that knowledge long-term? (What is an acceptable long-term time frame?
  3. Are they able to apply that knowledge specifically or generally?
  4. Did they change their behavior in a positive way short-term?  Long-term?

The first metric is relatively easy to quantify with a simple quiz.  I am very interested in how others approach the latter questions.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Paul Terlemezian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service