Global, collaborative, technology-based initiatives across the learning spectrum (Pre-K, K-12, Academic, Work, Personal, Military/Police)

Members

Forum

AR/VR/AI (Shaunda Paden)

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Subhajit Basu Nov 13, 2019. 12 Replies

Course Careers (Troy Buckholdt)

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Bill Crose Nov 11, 2019. 4 Replies

Phd in ID – (Matt Meador)

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Bill Crose Nov 10, 2019. 6 Replies

Lead With Your Brain (Rob Jenkins)

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Bill Crose Nov 10, 2019. 6 Replies

Sales Training Innovations (Bruce Kopkin)

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Bruce Kopkin Nov 8, 2019. 6 Replies

Technology - Can We Keep Up (Paula Smith)

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Paul Terlemezian Nov 7, 2019. 3 Replies

Segment 8(19) – BYOL Plus - Proof

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Erick Nov 5, 2019. 3 Replies

Innovations in Video (Rich Beaudrie)

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Rich Beaudrie Nov 4, 2019. 1 Reply

Incentives (Michael Ruege)

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019. Last reply by Michael Nov 4, 2019. 2 Replies

Open Conversation

Started by Paul Terlemezian in Georgia LEARNS 2019 Nov 3, 2019. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

What Are You Measuring?

Posted by Bill Crose on September 13, 2019 at 11:33am 0 Comments

A lifetime ago, my training department colleagues and I were satisfied with training data. We cranked out the requested ILT programs plus the "flavor of the year" content, we kept a busy training schedule, and made sure the coffee was always the right temperature. When accused of not delivering effective training because the learners didn't perform as they were trained, we took refuge in our management support role and not ultimately responsible or accountable for LEARNING or productivity.…

Continue

Photos

• Add Photos

Sooner or later we will all exit our companies.

What will our company be worth when that happens?

When will we realize that worth?

What can be done to maximize that worth?

When do we start to plan and execute to assure the realization of maximum return on the investment we have made to build our company?

This BYOL Plus segment will feature 5 CEO's and a Remarkable Speaker that will respond to this topic.

Remarkable Speaker: Jim Douglass https://www.linkedin.com/in/jim-douglass-04b1254/

Moderator:  Scott Burkett https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottburkett/

Panelists:

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I spoke with a close friend today and was asked to post the following:

"Question: “I am co-founder of a well-established training firm (less than 50% ownership), and am planning an exit strategy to retire. There is no board of directors other than myself and the co-owner. How do we protect our interest in achieving an equitable outcome without damaging our personal relationship?

Hopefully a buy sell agreement is already in place.  The best way to protect all the parties (personally and financially) is to know going in how one might exit.  A good buy sell agreement would establish valuation, sell process, and exit scenarios.

Scott - thank you - in this case the buy sell agreement is not in place.

That makes it very tough but not impossible.  It's not just about numbers but I would use my "owners benefit" - compensation, dividends, perks - to determine the a discounted value for my minority interest in the company.  To get the appropriate multiplier, look at similar size organizations and any transactions you may find to set a bench mark.  Since it is a minority interest, you'll have to discount it. 

Transparency is key in every relationship.  I would approach my co-founder with my desire to retire.  See how they feel about it.  Part of this process would be taking an inventory of your contributions as a founder and in your current role in the company.  You want to consider what happens to the business if you retire.

Also, keep in mind, retiring doesn't mean you have to sell, you could continue you collect passive income from dividends until a different liquidity event take place.

Scott - thank you - this "down to earth" ethical advice is appreciated.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Paul Terlemezian.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service